Saturday, October 15, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Were You Doing in 1995?

This week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun assignment from Randy Seaver is an update from one he did last year about this time, when he asked everyone what they were doing in 1985:

Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission:  Impossible music, please!):

(1) Do you recall what you were doing in 1995?  Family, school, work, hobbies, technology, genealogy, vacations, etc?


(2)  Tell us in a blog post of your own, in a comment on this blog, or in a Facebook or Google+ post.


At least we know why Randy can remember so much about what he did — he sent out a Christmas letter (which he obviously has a copy of)!  I don't think I'm going to do as well.

• In January of 1995 my mother, my grandfather, and an uncle passed away.  That pretty much shot the rest of the year for me.

• In April 1995 I turned 33.  I don't remember anything exciting happening for my birthday or any holidays that year.

• I was working for Chaosium, a small press publisher in Oakland, California.  I was an editor, I think on two fiction lines, along with being the company "convention schnook", which meant I handled the paperwork for our convention appearances and convention support.  I may have gone to one or two conventions myself for the company that year, but I had just started working there in October 1994, so that's the most I would have attended.  I think I went to GenCon on my own that summer, but I'm not sure.  I also did a lot of freelance editing for R. Talsorian Games.

• I was still working with a game convention in Southern California, so I must have traveled to Los Angeles over Presidents' Day weekend and Labor Day weekend for the four-day events.  I believe I also went to the Memorial Day weekend convention.

That's about all I remember.  I don't think I took any regular vacations, just my "working vacations."  It was not a great year.

2 comments:

  1. What a horrible year for you! I thought it was bad for me to lose my grandma and my baby girl Dorian(stillborn) within 3 months of each other in 1993...and it was. But, I can't imagine how you got through a month losing three key loved ones in your life. That is just so sad. I am sorry. :(

    It is completely understandable to me that the rest of the year was a blur and maybe happiness to stand out on your birthday and other holidays.

    Your post made me feel like crying. I can feel the sadness still there.

    I just posted my response to Randy's prompt here: PS Annie!

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, I appreciate it. Part of how I got through January was by telling myself that my new year was going to start in February, with the Chinese New Year. January just didn't count. I'm sorry to hear about how bad 1993 was for you. But maybe the quote is right: That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

      Delete

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.