Sunday, June 5, 2016

Saturday (Sunday!) Night Genealogy Fun: My Best Genealogy Research Find in May 2016

I was at Jamboree this weekend, and it's amazing how much time it took, not only in being at the conference during the day, but recovering from all the fun every evening when I went home.  I didn't even see Randy Seaver all weekend!  And I was just too pooped last night to take him up on this week's challenge for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun:

For this week's mission (should you decide to accept it), I challenge you to:

1)  I am away at the SCGS Genealogy Jamboree this weekend, having too much fun (I hope!).

2)  What was your best genealogy "research find" in May 2016?  It could be a record, it could be a photograph, etc.  Whatever you judge to be your "best."

3)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook or Google+ post.


I think by far my best "genealogy" find this past May was when I was watching Antiques Roadshow on PBS and saw the segment with drawings of twelve young black students from 1864 Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  On May 25 I posted about the drawings and on June 1 about the teacher's narrative describing events in the area.  It doesn't matter that the information has nothing to do with my family.  I am happy I was able to capture good images of all but one of the children, and Schalene Dagutis has added the post to the Slave Name Roll Project.  I hope publicizing the information helps some researchers connect to images of their relatives.

Mary Lawrence, aged 12 years Baton Rouge Aug. 30 1864 A good scholar, pleasant girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to everyone, particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.